“My summer interning at Wight & Company truly transformed my life. Having the privilege of working closely with the creative thought leaders here lit a passion inside me for the incredible work we do and the innovative environments we create. Plus, several of my closest friendships to this day were formed that summer. I feel blessed to be part of such an amazing team for the past 14 years.”
Stephanie L. Sharkey, Licensed Architect, LEED AP - Senior Project Designer, Architecture & Interiors
What Interns Can Expect with Their Wight Experience:
- Inclusion as active team member that provides meaningful contributions to project advancement and completion
- Real-time interaction with engineers, construction managers, material experts, energy modelers, sustainability mangers, and visualization team members
- Attend client meetings & site visits
- Work collaboratively in the latest architecture technology (Revit, Enscape, 3D Printers, Drone etc.)
- Participate in project-specific research such as products, building typologies, and systems
- Spend time with senior leaders
- Plus program activities such as architectural tours, field trips, and professional development workshops, as permitted by health guidelines at that time
What does the Culture of Wight look like?
- Virtual Town Halls and Speaker Series for sharing of ideas
- Site visits to projects under construction and recently completed
- Wight Garden on-site at our Darien office for staff to collaboratively grow vegetables
- In-person and virtual design crits
- Monthly architecture presentations and panel discussions to foster a growth mindset
- On-Site walking paths and a focus on employee wellness
- Cross-discipline team building activities
“To this day, I can connect the dots all the way back to my internship at Wight. It wasn’t just a foot in the door; it was a springboard to opportunities yet to come. I learned things I couldn’t comprehend from school alone, and accomplished things I wouldn’t have imagined myself capable of.”
Steven E. Shearer, Licensed Architect, LEED AP - Associate Principal
Recent Projects that Interns Have Contributed to Include:
- Will County Courthouse - Project included intern participation for three consecutive summers on Concept Design, Schematic Design, and Construction Documents including site analysis, building conceptual massing and design, and drawing wall sections and details.
- Design of Justice: Strategies for Effective Public Safety Facilities (PDF download) - Under guidance of senior design leaders, intern participation contributed to research and development of conceptual ideas and compilation the book, a research project on 21st Century Police Station Design in the context of suburban law enforcement agencies.