"Interning with Wight gave me an entirely new perspective on design, teamwork, and company culture that I had never experienced anywhere else. I've been able to apply the skills and values I picked up here at every step of my career."
Cater Minnis, CAD Supervisor at McMaster-Carr Supply Company
What Interns Can Expect with Their Wight Experience:
- Inclusion as active team member that provides meaningful contributions to project advancement and completion
- Real-time interaction with construction managers, engineers, inspectors, field crew members, contractors, and consultants
- Work collaboratively in the latest transportation technology, including Virtual Design and Construction (VDC), BIM for Infrastructure, OpenRoads modeling, Bluebeam Studio, LumenRT, and TopoDOT, as well as reality capture, 3D modeling and visualization, drones, immersive reality, and connected construction technology
- Attend client meetings and spend time with senior leaders
- Plus program opportunities such as project tours, social events, and career development workshops
What does the Culture of Wight look like?
- Virtual Town Halls and Speaker Series for sharing of ideas
- Site visits to projects under construction and recently completed
- Wight Garden on-site at our Darien office for staff to collaboratively grow vegetables
- A focus on employee wellness
- Cross-discipline networking sessions and team building activities
Recent Projects that Interns Have Contributed to Include:
- Illinois Tollway I-355 South Extension - Plaza 94 Maintenance Building - Project included completion preliminary and final engineering and architectural documents for the construction of the site access roadways, parking facilities, maintenance building, salt dome, water distribution, storm sewer, sanitary sewer, earthwork, and landscaping.
- IDOT US 30 over CNRR - Project reconstructed 3,500 feet of pavement with four lanes and includes a new, 131-foot long, two-span pass bridge over the EJ&E/CN railroad tracks. Also included an overpass bridge, new pavement, improved signage, drainage, landscaping, 2,300 feet of retaining wall, and a 10-foot wide pedestrian walkway.
- IDOT Willow Road Widening & Reconstruction - Project included three 12-foot lanes in each direction with a variable-width median to meet the existing roadway sections east and west of the project limits. The scope of work comprised of roadway alignment, profile, lighting, entrance and exit ramp design, intersection and traffic signal design, roadway signage, maintenance of traffic, and structural oversight.