Our “school-within-a-school” concept takes advantage of site topography by placing the lower floor of the two houses on different levels, thus distributing the students across three, rather than two, stories. The houses are connected by a naturally lit concourse that brings daylight into the school and connects the fine arts and athletics wings. An outdoor amphitheater and an athletic field renovation were also included.
The site development solution includes bio-swales to filter impurities from surface water runoff, a well irrigation system for athletic fields and indigenous plantings. A fully automated digital control system allows for automatic control of HVAC systems. An automated lighting control system allows operational efficiency of all lighting. A minimum of 25 percent of the building materials contains recycled content including structural steel, acoustical ceiling tile, acoustical ceiling panels, carpet, sports flooring, ceramic tile, and toilet partitions.
- 2006 Project of Distinction, School Planning & Management Education Design Showcase
- 2005 Gold Award - Best of the Block, Excellence in Masonry, Illinois Indiana Masonry Council
- 2005 Outstanding Building, New Construction, American School & University
- 2005 Merit Award Finalist, New Construction - Suburbs, Chicago Building Congress
- 2004 Award of Distinction, Excellence in the Design of Educational Environments, Illinois Association of School Boards