Orchard Place Elementary School, the second oldest building in the district, was faced with several building and infrastructure challenges. From the onset of the District-wide program improvement process, this school was targeted by District leadership as the facility with the most challenges and opportunities. Recognizing this need early on made the design process and dialogue between team members productive and efficient.
Implementing the vision became the most complex issue to solve as the extent of work was massive and the facility needed to remain operational during the school year. The first phase of construction involved building the new, two-story classroom/gymnasium wing immediately behind the oldest portion of the building. Once that was completed, students and staff vacated the original 1947 wing and began using the addition while the vacated portion was torn down to make way for parking and drop-off lanes.
Renovations for the rest of the facility occurred the following summer. Not one day of school was lost or cut short as a result of this activity.